Thursday, March 31, 2011
In a nutshell…management means paying attention to your dog, puppy, spouse or child. My mother used to say “Idle hands are the Devil’s play thing;” and nowhere is this truer than with a dog or puppy! Let’s face it, a puppy will never get a chance to chew up your brand new red leather Manolo pumps unless you have conveniently “spaced out,” leaving them on the floor (unattended) after coming home from a hard day’s work. So with that being said, here are my Top 10 “management” customer comments and the corresponding internal thoughts of a trainer, upon hearing my customers’ lamentations:
1. “My dog keeps peeing and pooping on the comforter in the back bedroom.” > IF YOU WOULD JUST PAY ATTENTION TO FIDO THE 5-6 TIMES HE TRIED TO TELL YOU HE HAD TO GO; OR KEEP HIM IN HIS CRATE OR X-PEN WHEN YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO WATCH HIM...THIS PHONE CALL WOULD NOT BE TAKING PLACE. YOU MIGHT EVEN TRY KEEPING THE BEDROOM DOOR SHUT TILL HE LEARNS THE RULES…
2. “Can you believe the nerve of my dog…? She keeps eating the crotch out of every pair of underwear I own!” > EVER HEARD OF A LAUNDRY HAMPER? OR MAYBE PUTTING THE “CLEAN” CLOTHES AWAY INSTEAD OF LEAVING THEM IN THE BASKET ON THE LIVING ROOM FLOOR? I MEAN REALLY, ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL ME THAT HE OPENED UP YOUR UNDERWEAR DRAWER AND GOT THEM OUT HIMSELF?
3. “I really need your help, my 16 week old lab puppy just ate our second couch while we were at work, and my wife says if we can’t get the behavior fixed, the dog has to go” > REALLY! I SUPPOSE YOU ALSO JUST LET YOUR TWO YEAR OLD LOOSE IN THE DEN WHILE YOU “RUN TO THE GROCERY STORE?” SERIOUSLY, YOU EXPECT A 16 WEEK OLD PUPPY TO “BEHAVE” ALL ALONE, WHILE YOU ARE AT WORK? HAVE YOU HEARD OF CRATE TRAINING OR DOGGY DAYCARE?
4. “I am at my wits end, Fido, jumps all over everyone that walks through the front door, and now he has broken my mom’s hip. I mean, it is okay for him to give me hugs but he needs to know better with guests.” > AND I SUPPOSE YOUR THREE YEAR OLD SON KNOWS WHEN AND WHERE YOU EXPECT HIM TO THROW A TEMPER TANTRUM AS WELL…IN DOG TRAINING AS IN LIFE YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU ASK (TRAIN) FOR.
5. “How do you teach a dog to quit begging at the table? I mean it is getting really bad, our dog has even started taking food right out of our kid’s hands at the table!” OK, WE BOTH KNOW SOMEONE IS FEEDING THE DOG AT THE TABLE!!! CONGRATULATIONS…YOU (OR SOMEONE ELSE IN YOUR FAMILY) HAVE NOW BECOME A SLOT MACHINE FOR FIDO. “YOUR DOG IS THINKING I MIGHT AS WELL JUST KEEP STARING OR STEALING, AFTER ALL IT WORKS MOST OF THE TIME!”
6. “I just don’t know what to do… Every time I open the front door the dog just barrels through and it takes us 30 minutes to catch him!” UM…MAYBE YOU SHOULD WATCH TO SEE WHERE THE DOG IS BEFORE YOU OPEN THE DOOR…OR MAYBE YOU COULD JUST TEACH THE DOG TO SIT AT THE DOOR? YOU PROBABLY WANT TO TEACH A GOOD SOLID RECALL BEFORE SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS…
7. “Can you explain to me why my dog runs from me every time I yell at him when he gets loose?” HMMMM…A CRAZY, UNSTABLE HUMAN THAT IS AT LEAST 6-10 TIMES MY HEIGHT IS YELLING AND RUNNING TOWARDS ME…YEAH I THINK I WILL JUST STOP HERE AND WAIT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS…NOT
8. “I am so tired of this, every time my dog does something bad, I tell him very clearly he has been bad, but it is just getting worse. How long will it take before this dog out grows this behavior?” YOU LEARNED AS A KID THAT THIS DID NOT WORK WITH YOUR PET ROCK, DIDN’T YOU? IS THIS QUESTION REALLY SERIOUS OR ARE YOU JUST MAKING A “FUNNY?”
9. “Just how long is it going to take before this damn dog can sleep through the night without waking me up at 3:00 in the morning to pee?” I WILL BET A HUNDRED BUCKS THIS PERSON LETS THE DOG TANK UP ON WATER AND/OR EAT WITHIN AN HOUR OF GOING TO BED…THAT OR THIS IS A PUPPY THAT CAN’T YET HOLD IT ALL NIGHT…
10. “Why is it every time I try to establish dominance with my dog he just squats down and pees on the damn floor?” HERE WE GO AGAIN…HOW ABOUT LET’S TEACH FIDO THE “HOUSE RULES” BEFORE WE ENFORCE THEM. I WOULD SUGGEST TRYING SOMETHING ELSE QUICKLY BEFORE YOU FIND YOURSELF WITH FEWER FINGERS THAN YOU CURRENTLY HAVE.
If we could, dog trainers in general would all be millionaires and would have already published the book including the “secret” of dog training…but UNFORTUNATELY THERE IS NO “SECRET!” Unless you think the ideas of “dogs only do what is rewarding and what they are allowed to do” is a secret. So trust me, I can save you money and time by saying “A BEHAVIOR NEVER TRIED IS A HABIT NEVER LEARNED.” So focus on “mistake-free” training with Fido and be ready to redirect or eliminate opportunities for Fido to make mistakes. That is what all dog trainers mean by management. It’s like a saying I learned when I had a “real” job; “ONLY EXPECT WHAT YOU INSPECT.” If you don’t pay attention or actively train, then know something bad is going to happen. So put down the phone, car keys or computer keyboard and save yourself some money by NOT calling a dog trainer. Instead, go spend the time, pay attention and manage the behavior of that furry little ball of fur you love so much!
Friday, March 18, 2011
It should be noted I usually use Nature's Variety Prairie Chicken and I am very happy with this food. Eukanubas first ingredient is chicken which is good, but the second ingredient is corn meal. Many people do not consider corn meal as a filler, but to me any corn or wheat in dog food is just that. As with anything there are two sides to everything and I have had this discussion with many... Bear definitely likes the food and he is at this point maintaining his weight, not gaining nor losing. I will say that many of the vitamins and minerals, glucosamine and chondroitin are great ingredients and are a welcome sight.
I know how much I spend on a bag of Nature's Variety and know that Eukanuba will come in lower I am sure... So at the end of week one my thoughts are simply this: are there better foods on the market, yes. Are there worse: a whole bunch. Can everyone afford the an expensive top shelf dog food, no. I think at least at this point Eukanuba's new formulation could be a middle ground that people could utilize to upgrade from the cheap grocery store "El Cheapo" to something more affordable and better for their dog...
One other side note, I do not use dog bowls to feed. Rather I use frozen Kongs to feed my dogs their kibble. The large kibble that Eukanuba uses is more difficult to use in Kongs compared to the food I now use.
I will let you know as we go forward how Bear does and give you, as always my honest opinion...
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
KISS Dog Training announces our first eBook/Book.... The Dog Owner's Book Of Poop And Pee!!!!
Click on the link below for more info!
THE DOG OWNER'S BOOK OF POOP AND PEE!! - FastPencil
- Mike Deathe
Being able to train “any dog” is really not the question to ask. As far as I am concerned, training people is a much more effective way of solving problem behaviors in dogs. What I do is nothing new or magical. I use basic behavior theory, and positive reinforcement techniques to change behavior or teach proper ones to begin with. There are many ways to train a dog and if done right, none are any better than the other. I want all of my students to understand that positive reinforcement is, in my opinion, the best and fastest way to teach a dog. Please take the time to go to my website www.muttzrus.com and look at my blog (keep it simple stupid pet blog) and decide for yourself. You should not make training decisions based off of a brochure; talk to at least three trainers; check out blogs and get references; then make your choice. I hope that in the end you will choose me as your trainer
Mike Deathe is a stay-at-home dad who found his passion as a dog trainer in 2008. He enjoys identifying unique and useful “muttz” related products. He is the author of Keep It Simple Stupid (K.I.S.S.) Pet Blog. Mike has had dogs since he was four years old and there are currently four dogs and two cats living in his home! As an avid pet lover, he regularly sees the number of dogs and cats that never find a home. In 2009, he and his wife Kate founded Muttz “R” Us, a t-shirt and pet product company with a philanthropic motto of “Adopt a Pet, Save a Life.” In 2010 Muttz “R” Us also launched KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID DOG TRAINING! Visit us at facebook or twitter or follow the blog @http://muttzmembers.blogspot.
com/or check out the website @www.muttzrus.com for more details.